- 3 ounces Vidalia, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons (20ml) soy sauce, more or less to taste
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) toasted sesame oil, more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) honey, more or less to taste
- 2 1/4 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeño chile, finely minced
- 3/4 tsp. peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 12 ounces (340g) raw sashimi-grade tuna, cut into 1/2-inch cube
Add all items in non reactive bowl. this step can be done a few days ahead of time and just add tuna 5 minutes prior to serving
- 1/2 cup white miso paste
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic
Add all items in non reactive bowl. this step can be done a few hours ahead of time
- 3 cups short grain sushi rice
- 3 1/3 cups water
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
Place rice in fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water, gently agitating with hands until liquid runs clear. Add rinsed rice and water to rice cooker and cook. Alternatively, place in a heavy-bottomed 2 quart saucepot with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, turn heat to lowest setting, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Meanwhile, combine vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar and salt are dissolved.
Transfer rice to a 13-inch by 9-inch nonreactive casserole dish (like a pyrex) and spread gently into an even layer using a rice paddle. Aim a fan set to low directly at rice and keep it running during the rest of this step. Carefully sprinkle 3/4 of vinegar mixture over rice by drizzling it over the back of the rice paddle. Combine the rice and vinegar by gently folding it in with a cutting motion, being careful not to bruise or crush any rice grains. Taste rice and, if desired, add more of vinegar mixture. Continue fanning rice and folding until rice stops steaming and grains have achieved a slightly glossy texture that just sticks together when you squeeze them. Keep sushi rice at room temperature covered in a clean damp dish towel, or plastic wrap pressed directly against its surface.
This step can be done days in advance
Heat the 3 tablespoons canola oil and sesame oil in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Carefully add the rice to the hot oil. Cook until golden brown and toasty on one side, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the rice and continue cooking until golden brown on the other side, another 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the rice cakes to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- 2 Carrots thinly sliced in rounds diagonally
- 1/2 Cut up the broccoli and cauliflower into bite-size florets
- 1/2 Snow peas with stem ends cut off
- 1/2 yellow, red, orange bell pepper diced finely
- 2 avocados sliced thin
- 1 cup of crispy cooked rice (either white or brown)
- toasted sesame seeds (4 minutes in dry pan)
- Persian cucumber diced finely
- avocado sliced
- 1 teaspoon (about 3g) TOASTED white or black sesame seeds, or a mix
- 2 tsp Kikkoman Sweet Soy Glaze
- add rice tuna cucumber carrots brocolli cauliflower snow peas bell peppers 2 avocados sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and miso sauce
- 3 whole dried Mexican chilies seeds and stem removed
- 1 quart low sodium store-bought or homemade chicken stock,
- knorr bovril beef stock
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 10 medium cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 chipotle chilis packed in adobo, roughly chopped,
- 5 limes juiced
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 whole chuck-eye roast (about 4 pounds), or 4 pounds boneless shortribs cut in large cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 whole bay leaves
- Kosher salt
Place dried chilies on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high power in 15-second increments until pliable and toasted-smelling, about 30 seconds total. Transfer to a 2-quart microwave-safe liquid measuring cup or bowl. Add 2 cups chicken broth, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave on high power until gently simmering, about 5 minutes. Remove from microwave. Add soaked chilies and their liquid to the blender along with fish sauce. Start blender on low and slowly increase speed to high. Puree until smooth, about 1 minute. Set aside.
Place beef chuck in slow cooker. Add all remaining ingredients. Ad enough beef broth or water to cover. Cook High for 8 hours
1 medium red onion, about 5 ounces
1 Tsb sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup rice vinegar, white wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
1 small clove of garlic, halved
5 black peppercorns
5 allspice berries
3 small springs of thyme
1 small dried chili
Kettle for boiling water
Knife and cutting board
Sieve or colander
Clean jar or container
- Slice the onions: Start 2 or 3 cups of water on to boil in a kettle. Peel and thinly slice the onion into approximately 1/4-inch moons. Peel and cut the garlic clove in half.
- Dissolve the sugar and salt: In the container you will be using to store the onions, add the sugar, salt, vinegar, and flavorings. Stir to dissolve.
- Par-blanch the onions: Place the onions in the sieve and place the sieve in the sink. Slowly pour the boiling water over the onions and let them drain.
- Add the onions to the jar: Add the onions to the jar and stir gently to evenly distribute the flavorings.
- Store: The onions will be ready in about 30 minutes, but are better after a few hours. Store in the refrigerator. They will keep for several weeks.
- 6 ounces thick-sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch lardons
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1/3 cup crème fraîche
- 3 ounces Brie, thinly sliced (with rind, if desired)
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella, shredded
- Snipped chives, for garnish
- Set a pizza stone in the oven and preheat the oven to 500°. Spread the bacon in a pie plate and bake for 15 minutes, stirring once, until nearly crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk the eggs with the cream and a pinch of salt. In a medium nonstick skillet, cook the eggs and 1 tablespoon of the butter over low heat, whisking frequently, until small curds form and the eggs are creamy, about 12 minutes. Remove the eggs from the heat. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and season with salt.
- On a lightly floured work surface, stretch out the pizza dough to a 12-inch round and transr to a lightly floured pizza peel. Spread the crème fraîche evenly over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Top with the crispy bacon, Brie and mozzarella.
5.4 lb top sirloin roast
1/2 lb of butter
1.5 cups oilive oil
2 tbsp rosemary
2 tbsp thyme
2 tbsp salt and pepper
Add roast and all other ingredients in a bag prepared for sous vide. Sous vide for 6 or 7 hours. Remove from sous vide, and wipe dry. Rest for 10 minutes.
Heat cast iron pan to very hot. Add a 2 tbsp of butter and oil. Sear the roast on all sides until browned.