- 1 pkg. (17.3 ounces) Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3 medium onions, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 tbsp. Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed or 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat the oven to 400°F. Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 12-inch square. Press the pastry into a 2-quart round casserole. Trim the excess pastry. Prick the pastry thoroughly with a fork. Place aluminum foil onto the surface of the pastry.
2. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil.
3. Heat the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots, onions and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring occasionally. Add the flour and cook and stir for 3 minutes or until the flour is golden brown. Slowly stir in the broth and heat to a boil. Cook and stir until the mixture boils and thickens.
4. Stir in the mustard, thyme, black pepper, chicken, peas and 3 tablespoons parsley. Remove the skillet from the heat.
5. Unfold the remaining pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Cut the pastry sheet crosswise into 6 (1 1/2-inch thick) strips.
6. Spoon the chicken mixture into the casserole. Weave a lattice pattern over the filling with the pastry strips. Trim any excess pastry. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley. Place the casserole onto a baking sheet.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until the filling is hot and bubbling and the pastry is golden brown.
For the pot pie base 2 sticks butter (16 tablespoons, 8 ounces or 1 cup) 2 cup flour Reserved chicken broth 1 cup half and half cream 1 cup sherry Salt and pepper 2 cup frozen peas 1 batch Pesto and Chive Biscuit Topping Reserved chicken and vegetables For the chicken & meat broth 1. Put the chicken parts into a large stockpot and add just enough water to almost completely cover them. 2. Add the salt, pepper and bay leaves. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until you can easily separate the chicken meat from the bones, about 30 minutes or so. 3. Remove the chicken from broth and when it’s cool enough to handle, pull the meat from the bones. Discard the bones and skin. Reserve the broth and some of the fat that floats to the top. For the garnish vegetables 1. Place the empty chicken pot back over heat and add a ladle full of the chicken fat on top of the broth. Add the vegetables and sauté them until they softened. Remove the vegetables from the pot and reserve. For the pot pie base 1. Put chicken pot back on burner and add the butter. When it has melted, stir in the flour and continue cooking for a few minutes. 2. Add the reserved chicken broth, one ladlefull at a time stirring constantly. Continue to whisk until it is very thick. Add the cream and sherry and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the frozen peas, reserved chicken and reserved vegetables. 3. Preheat your oven to 400°. 4. For individual servings ladle the mixture into approximately 24 eightounce aluminum pie plates and place on baking sheets. Roll the biscuit dough to 1/2 inch thickness and cut out 243” rounds. Place a round on each pie. Bake for 30 minutes, until the biscuit tops are golden brown and the chicken is bubbling. 5. You may also ladle the chicken stew into one or two large baking pans, cover with biscuit dough and bake and serve in bulk.