- 1/4cup milk
- 3tablespoons instant potato flakes
- 8ounces 90 percent lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2cup thinly sliced onion
- 8ounces white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
- 1tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2teaspoons tomato paste
- 1cup beef broth
- 1/4 c red wine
1. Whisk milk and potato flakes together in large bowl. Add beef, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and knead until combined. Shape into two 1/2-inch-thick oval patties. (Patties can be covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.)
2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties until well browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
3. Return now-empty skillet to medium-high heat, add onion and remaining 1 tablespoon butter, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in flour and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in broth and wine and bring to simmer. Return patties to skillet, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until meat registers 160 degrees, 8 to 10 minutes, flipping patties halfway through cooking.
4. Transfer steaks to platter. Continue to simmer sauce until slightly thickened, 2 to 4 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over steaks and serve. You can refrigerate at this point for 2 days or freeze for a couple of months
Good and interesting recipe.Make ahead 2 days in advance
3 lb. beets (about 10 large)
3 tbsp. olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup crème fraîche
Zest and juice of 1 orange
Heat oven to 400°. Place beets in a 9” x 13” ovenproof dish; toss with oil, salt, and pepper. Cover tightly with aluminum foil; bake until tender, 40 minutes. Meanwhile, mix crème fraîche with orange zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper and set aside. [at this point you can refrigerate and keep for 2 days. just reheat before serving].To serve, transfer beets to a serving platter and drizzle with dressing.