8 strips uncooked bacon, roughly chopped
1 Spanish onion,
chopped 3 jalapeño peppers (or can of green chilies such as ,
chopped 32 oz ground beef
9 oz mild cheddar, cut into small 1/4-inch cubes
1 Tbsp steak spice
5 – 6 pumpernickel burger buns
Sliced cheddar (optional)
1. Preheat grill to 350ºFahrenheit or preheat barbecue. Or preheat griddle or re pan
2. In a medium pan over medium heat, fry bacon for 7 to 10 minutes, flipping once, until bacon is half-cooked.
3. Remove bacon strips from the pan and cool in a medium bowl; reserve the bacon fat in the pan.
4. Add the onions and jalapenos(or green chilies)to he bacon fat; stir and cook over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until onions start to soften and release their moisture.
5. Pour the sautéed onions and jalapeños into the reserved bacon and set aside to cool.
6. Once cooled, stir the ground beef, cheese cubes, and steak spice into the onion and bacon mixture.
7. Divide mixture into 5 or 6 patties, to preference.
8. Roll the mixture into tight balls, then flatten them into ¾-inch thick patties.
9. If using an indoor grill, grill patties for 3 ½ minutes per side, or until juices run clear; if using a barbecue, lightly brush grates with oil to prevent sticking