- 4 Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (6 cups)
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Place potatoes, carrots, and garlic in a medium saucepan. Cover with water. Add a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, and cook until completely tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Drain vegetables, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid. Return all but 1/4 cup liquid to pot. Add milk and butter, and season with salt and pepper. Mash until smooth, adding remaining liquid to desired consistency.
Good and interesting recipe.Make ahead 2 days in advance
3 lb. beets (about 10 large)
3 tbsp. olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup crème fraîche
Zest and juice of 1 orange
Heat oven to 400°. Place beets in a 9” x 13” ovenproof dish; toss with oil, salt, and pepper. Cover tightly with aluminum foil; bake until tender, 40 minutes. Meanwhile, mix crème fraîche with orange zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper and set aside. [at this point you can refrigerate and keep for 2 days. just reheat before serving].To serve, transfer beets to a serving platter and drizzle with dressing.